Tuesday, October 8, 2019

1 Nephi 18:1-4 How's my ship building?

Oct 8, 2019

"...And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbres of the ship.
"Now I, Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men. 
"And I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things.
"And it came to pass that after I had finished the ship, according to the word of the Lord, my brethren beheld that it was good and that the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine; wherefore they did humble themselves before the Lord."

I have been recently called to be the Relief Society President in my ward. To say I was overwhelmed when I learned of this calling is an understatement. I felt that I was highly unqualified, unskilled and wasn't sure I was trustworthy of such a big responsibility. The Spirit has since born witness that I am indeed the woman for the job at this time. There is comfort in this. 
As I was reading my scriptures the other day, this scripture hit me pretty hard. Instead of reading the word "ship" I substituted the word Relief Society- but you could also put family, life, mission, etc and it would be just as impactful. And where it says "work the timbers" or "build" I substituted these words with "lead." Go ahead and try that. 

"...And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should [LEAD] the [Relief Society].
"Now I, Nephi, did not [LEAD] after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I [LEAD] the [Relief Society] after the manner of men; but I did [LEAD] it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men. 
"And I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things.
"And it came to pass that after I had [LEAD] the [Relief Society], according to the word of the Lord, my brethren beheld that it was good and that the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine; wherefore they did humble themselves before the Lord."

This has brought me a lot of peace, in that if I will turn to the Lord OFT, then He will help me know how He wants me to lead his daughters. And the result will be good. It has also lead me to do some searching in myself to help me have a desire to improve my prayers and temple attendance.



No comments:

Post a Comment